Sunday, April 12, 2009

How long does it take to finish a quilt?

In my case, 18 years. Yes folks, that is 18 years! I started a quilt that long ago and got it 3/4 finished and then for some reason packed it away and forgot about it. I unearthed it the other day and my son saw it. He wants it, so I picked up where I left off. I am lap-quilting it, ala Georgia Bonesteel and have only three sections left to quilt. I had forgotten how relaxing hand quilting is.

Being a technological idiot, there will be no photos of this quilt until my kids return from Kansas. They are helping my husband--their dad--move to Wichita where he has a new job. He was laid off 14 months ago and has been diligently searching since. At this point in time, the kids and I will remain in Albany. This is not my favorite way to live, though I've managed it before. At some point we will be back together. Living this way is preferable to being unemployed in your late 50's during an economic turn down and fearing your career is over. Lucky for me, I have two more unfinished quilts, the finishing of which will help keep me sane!

No comments: